Monday, March 3, 2014

Project Monday

Painted Furniture

                            after:

Years ago I painted this hutch (circa 1970-ish) black from sort of a creamy white. I wanted a glossy look and used oil, this was way before the chalk paint craze. One thing I didn't know about oil is that it has a propensity to chip. With several moves and attempts at touch up, it.was.time.
I started painting and realized I hadn't take a 'before' shot. 
I decided to keep the inside light, te outside color is Annie Sloan's slate gray and the inside is old white. After painting the white it was too bright for me.
I painted over it with SW Crushed Ice - which is a pale gray and the color I have used on most of the interior walls of my home. You can see it on the left of this picture. 
I got this far and had to put the brushes down to go visit these fellers in Washington state.
One week of lots of lovin'.

When I got back I used Amy Howard's technique of waxing and using dust of ages over it. See post here where I described in detail.
Clear wax, dark wax, dust.

Buff.

Oops!  With starting, stopping, traveling and working in different lighting conditions I missed this one door.  Good example though of the difference of waxing and dusting (left) and just painting. I've got 6 chairs and the table legs of the table to do so I will fix it.  :)

Hobby Lobby has a wonderful selection of door pulls and handles. I have lucked out each time I have gone looking for pulls to find them 50% off.
I found some to update the cabinet a bit. 

Difficult to get a good shot with the reflection in the glass.


All finished and cleaned up pretty well for an old girl.


Moore Designs is here to help you create the home of your dreams.
E-design available.





Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment