Monday, March 9, 2009

Not Decor, but a bit of Me!


The part of my life outside design and decor is road cycling (skinny tire). I am not talking "toodle" around the neighborhood, I am talking distance riding. When I lived in DC, I rode with a group of gals called "Babes on Bikes" a group dedicated to fitness and fun (I'm in that picture, can you find me? Not a beauty queen that's for sure!). We biked from Arlington to Bethesda and beyond, from Bethesda to Mount Vernon, out to Herndon and Leesville (time to get out your atlases!) and all around our nation's capital usually riding anywhere from 35-50 miles. I had been a mountain bike (fat tire) girl for years, riding in Alaska up and down mountains and all 15 miles of paved road, well that is a wee bit of misleading, 15 miles from end to end, but there were some paved roads going across! :>). My first ride with the "Babes" was 45 miles and due to moving had been out of the saddle for a while, I was a bit rusty and thought I was going to die....well, I wished I would anyway. As time went on 45 miles became a piece of cake (depending on how many hills were on the ajenda for the day) and ventured to train for a century (100 miles....in one day) for my 50th birthday. My DH and I along with several of the other Babes and their DH's did the ride and had a blast.
I am so excited because the weather has warmed up, and it is riding season again! DH and I are training for a ride the first week in June that starts in San Francisco and goes up into the wine country and does a big loop and ends back in San Fran. A week long of riding 45-65 miles per day....so my fanny needs to hit the saddle and get those callouses in place. I am going to meet up for the first time Tuesday evening with a group of women in Atlanta, should be interesting...

Did you notice my two fave colors on my bike? Black with pink etchings...pink jersey and pink and white socks!



Ok, I wanted to let you all know that I rode 18.5 miles of KILLER hills, was the oldest in the bunch by 5 years and held the middle of the pack of about 18 women. There were so many beautiful homes, I am surprised I do not have a neck ache...can't wait until next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment